Sun sea sand

Sun sea sand

Sunday, September 21, 2008

30 Years of Lego People

I can't remember if I ever had Lego's Mini-men, myself, as the toy was a luxury. But I'm sure my cousins did, and I do remember building houses for these little people oh, some 20-odd years ago.

Back then the mini-men were just that - mini men. Now they're mini people with jobs, lives, communities and history. The first was a policeman, and see how they're getting on now, with a high-tech station, as pictured.

There's four million of them, and they're 30 years old. To celebrate, there's a website showing a 60-second stop-action clip of mini-men in history, as well as other titbits for Lego fans.

So as New York Entertainment magazine puts it, Happy 30th birthday to the Lego Miniman, who enters a fourth decade of being accidentally swallowed, lost in the back seat and stepped on by an irate, barefoot adult. (I'm sure we've all been there...)

No comments: